These Mushroom + Swiss Egg White Muffins are a quick and healthy way to do breakfast. Perfect for meal prep or on-the-go. Pair them with a whole-grain english muffin or some fruit for a light and delicious breakfast.
I’m definitely a breakfast person. I can’t start my day without a cup of coffee, some protein and some carbs to kick things into gear. I tend to cycle through a handful of breakfast recipes on weekdays including crustless quiches and mini omelets. Eggs are my favorite!
Lately I’ve been craving that classic combo of mushrooms + Swiss cheese, so thought I’d turn that into little omelet muffins that I can enjoy all week long.
Mushroom + Swiss Egg White Muffins are Perfect for Meal Prep
These are perfect for meal prep. You could double the recipe and freeze any you won’t eat within a few days. Allow them to cool, pop them out of the tin and place them on a tray in your freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer safe storage container and place them back in the freezer. They’ll be good for about a month.
If frozen, start with a 1 minute manual defrost in the microwave. From there, or if they’ve been stored in the fridge, microwave them in 1 minute increments until heated through.
Serving Suggesting for Mushroom + Swiss Egg White Muffins
- Open-faced, on english muffins with tomato slices
- Wrapped in a tortilla with some extra baby spinach
- For brunch, serve them alongside a salad of your favorite greens
- Serve with a cup of seasonal fruit or a yogurt parfait
Many muffin tin omelet recipes have you combine all your ingredients in a bowl before spooning or pouring them into the muffin tin. Inevitably, some muffins get all the goodies and others end up being mostly egg.
I recommend distributing the veggies first, then pouring the eggs over and finally topping with cheese. It might take a couple extra minutes this way, but you’ll get evenly sized muffins full of flavor.
Check out these breakfast recipes!
- Greek Yogurt + Flaxseed Biscuits
- Spiced Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls
- Red Velvet Pop Tarts
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls
- Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls with Mascarpone Icing
Mushroom + Swiss Egg White Muffins
- olive oil spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms cleaned, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 2 cups liquid egg whites
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- pinch nutmeg to taste
- 3 oz shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a nonstick muffin pan with olive oil spray.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté shallots and mushrooms with salt for 5 minutes, until soft, add garlic and saute another 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites with salt, pepper + nutmeg.
- Spoon mushroom-spinach mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Distribute egg whites evenly to cover the veggies. Top each muffin with shredded Swiss.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until set.
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.