Make grilled chicken skewers even better by serving it with a simple herb red wine sauce. This is coq au vin deconstructed for summertime grilling — all the same decadent flavors, but way faster!
Grilled Chicken Skewers + Red Wine Sauce
I usually want a hearty bowl of coq au vin when it’s cold out. Right? It’s a wintertime comfort food for sure.
Adapting those rich flavors into a version for the grill means you can enjoy this classic anytime of the year…without a bubbling pot of chicken and wine steaming up your kitchen. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I mean, that aroma!)
There is a little stove top work for the sauce, but it comes together quickly and easily, and is a must to drizzle over your perfectly grilled chicken and vegetables.
Ingredients for Grilled Coq au Vin Skewers
- Chicken thighs — my favorite part of the bird! Boneless, skinless thighs grill up really quickly and are kinda hard to screw up. They also stay tender and moist…unlike that other chicken part.
- Sweet onion — cut into wedges. These get even more sweet when cooked.
- Button mushrooms — you can use white or brown. Halve or quarter them if they’re on the large side.
- Bacon — provides a base flavoring and fat for the sauce. I used center cut and four slices renders just enough fat for the roux.
- Shallot + garlic — these aromatics give over their flavor for the sauce.
- All-purpose flour — to make a roux; used to thicken the sauce ever so slightly.
- Red wine — the vin! Pick one you’d drink. You’ll only need 3/4 cup for the sauce, so you can serve the rest with dinner.
- Chicken broth — adds another layer of flavor to the sauce.
- Seasonings — kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, Herbes de Provence, ground nutmeg.
- Unsalted butter — is added right at the end to make your sauce extra silky.
- Brandy — totally optional, brandy adds a subtle fruitiness to the sauce.
Wine + Cheese Party Cheat Sheet
Sign up for our newsletter and receive the Wine + Cheese Party Cheat Sheet on the house!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you (thank you!). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How To Make Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Start by combining salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Thread chicken, mushrooms and onions onto the skewers.
- Drizzle olive oil (or use an olive oil cooking spray) over the skewers and season with the spice mixture.
- Grill over medium-high for 12 to 15 minutes, turning over halfway through. (I closed the grill for about half the cooking time.)
How to Make Red Wine Sauce
- Saute the bacon in a saucepan until it becomes mostly crisp and a lot of the fat has rendered. Add the shallots and cook for a couple minutes until they’re tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute to release its fragrance.
- Add in the flour and cook for about a minute, stirring.
- Slowly pour in the wine as you continuously stir. Scrape up all the bits on the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to medium/medium-high and cook the wine for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, brown sugar, Herbes de Provence, and nutmeg. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in the butter and brandy.
Arrange the skewers on a platter and nestle in a bowl of the red wine sauce. The grill is already hot, so throw on some asparagus, too. Steamed haricot verts or seasoned baby potatoes would also be nice!
Want to simplify even more? Skip the skewers, season the chicken as instructed and grill the thighs whole. Sauté the mushrooms and onions with a green veg to serve on the side.
This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight meal and special enough to enjoy for a relaxed weekend dinner party. Start with some charcuterie + cheese (French, of course!) and finish the evening with a light dessert (like Mini Fresh Peach Pavlovas).
Hungry for More Chicken Recipes?
- Spicy Whiskey Glazed Chicken Wings
- Healthy Grilled Chicken + Corn Summer Salad
- Easy Weeknight Grilled Adobo Chicken Thighs
- Oven Fried Chicken Sliders with Remoulade Sauce
- Rotisserie Chicken Pho in the Instant Pot
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Red Wine Sauce
- 8 skewers metal or wood
For the Skewers
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1½ lbs chicken thighs, boneless/skinless cut into chunks for skewering
- 1 sweet onion cut into 16 small wedges
- 8 oz button mushrooms brown or white, halved or quartered if large
- olive oil or cooking spray
For the Sauce
- 4 slices center cut bacon diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1½ tsp all purpose flour
- ¾ cup red wine
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence or combo of rosemary and thyme
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp brandy optional
- Combine salt, garlic powder, onion powder + several grinds of fresh cracked black pepper in a small bowl.
- Skewer the chicken, alternating with chunks of onion and mushrooms. Drizzle the skewers with olive oil and season with the spice mixture. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes over medium-high, turning occasionally to cook evenly. Remove to a platter and tent to keep warm.
To Make the Sauce
- Saute bacon in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute to release its fragrance.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Slowly pour in the wine while stirring, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, brown sugar, herbs and nutmeg and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes on medium-high.
- Strain it into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer. Whisk in the butter and brandy.
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.