Cold Italian Sub Sandwich Party Sliders are the thing to make for picnics, the beach, poolside, tailgating…and, well…parties! They are quick and easy to assemble and always a crowd favorite!
Italian Sub Sandwich Sliders to Satisfy Big Sandwich Cravings
Santini’s is a family-owned New York style deli chain near us that serves up the most amazing sandwiches, pizza + desserts. My all-time favorite is a sub called ‘The Godfather’. It is THE BOMB! (Do people still say that?)
I could drop in and order one or have it delivered anytime, but that could get out of hand real quick…especially because I can’t have one without their amazing curly fries on the side.
Solution? Recreate it at home with my own little variations to satisfy that craving!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you (thank you!). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the full Disclosure for more information.
This is all about how the individual ingredients come together to create that undeniable Italian sub flavor — the salty bite of Italian deli meat, the briny spice of banana peppers, and the fresh crunch of dressed veggies.
But the bread…there’s nothing like fresh baked bread for sandwiches (or any reason…let’s be honest).
I went for homemade focaccia to get that little extra flavor it brings to the party. The book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg, M.D. and Zoë François, is an amazing resource for having fresh baked bread all the time.
I halved their Olive Oil Dough recipe and using the entire batch, made a rosemary and sea salt focaccia in a 9” x 13” cake pan (following the directions in their Focaccia with Onion and Rosemary recipe). This yielded a nice thick loaf of focaccia that I was able to slice along the equator, then into 12 rectangles.
This takes some planning, so if you don’t have the time or aren’t being called to bake from scratch, the recipe below recommends slider, Hawaiian, or dinner rolls or store-bought focaccia. They’ll still be delicious!
The other items you’ll need…
For the Sandwich Dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Dijon mustard
- Salt + pepper
For the Sliders:
- Provolone cheese
- Roma tomatoes
- Red onion
- Iceberg lettuce (trust me)
- Pickled peppers, like banana or cherry, mild or spicy
- Italian deli meat
I found a convenient antipasto pack of prosciutto, salami and coppa that suited me just fine. Feel free to mix up the variety of meat based on availability or taste.
Assembling the Sliders
There really isn’t a right or wrong way to do this, but I like to finish with the lettuce so it captures all the vinaigrette when you drizzle it on.
Stack them on a platter, pack them up for a picnic or add them to a tailgating spread. Your
fans friends will love them!
More Party Sandwiches That You Gotta Try!
- Steak Sliders with Caramelized Pears, Onions + Gorgonzola
- Air Fryer Spicy Fish Sandwiches with Creamy Yogurt Slaw
- Baked Hawaiian Roll Sliders with Chorizo + Cheese
- Tomato + Artichoke Two-Cheese Panini with Pesto Aioli
- Grilled Cheese with Chicken, Ricotta + Fig
- Super Easy Crispy Shrimp Sliders with Spicy Slaw
Cold Italian Sub Sandwich Party Sliders
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped fine (or a heaping 1/4 tsp of dried)
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- fresh cracked pepper + kosher salt to taste
For the Sliders
- 12 slider buns Hawaiian rolls, dinner rolls or sliced focaccia or other Italian bread
- 6 oz Italian deli meat use 3 varieties, like Prosciutto, Capicola, Genoa Salami, etc.
- 6 oz provolone cheese sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes sliced
- ¼ red onion sliced thin
- sliced pickled peppers banana or cherry, to taste
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce shredded (by knife or with a box grater)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sandwich dressing. Set aside.
- Place your slider buns on a work surface. Remove the tops and set those aside.
- Add sandwich ingredients as follows:– Italian deli meat– Provolone cheese– Sliced tomatoes– Sliced red onion– Sliced pickled peppers– Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Drizzle the sandwich dressing all over the sandwiches then replace the tops.
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.