Goat + Gouda Pimento Cheese Spread takes the classic southern recipe for a little spin around the block by swapping in two of my absolute favorite cheeses. I think you’ll love it, too!
Pimento Cheese with Gouda + Chèvre
My bestie is obsessed with the pimento cheese dip from Trader Joe’s, and she asked me if I had a recipe for homemade…like, a bougie version. I did not. Until now!
Why mess with a classic, though? It’s not that I don’t love sharp cheddar or cream cheese, but I love gouda and fresh goat cheese even more!
I played around with this recipe a little bit, swapping out a couple of other ingredients, and I think it’s pretty scrummy!
Ingredients in Goat + Gouda Pimento Cheese Spread
- Mild gouda — I love, love, love aged gouda to enjoy on its own, but for this recipe, I selected a 3-month aged gouda (a young gouda) that still has a slightly nutty, tangy finish. But, its softer, creamier texture makes it ideal for this spread. Use a box grater to shred it.
- Fresh goat cheese — this soft, tangy cheese is oh so spreadable and delicious. You’ll need just a small log (the 4 oz size).
- Mayonnaise — this helps to bind the ingredients together and provides another layer of tang.
- Pimento peppers — these are mild, sweet red peppers that you’ll often find stuffed into olives. Sometimes they’re referred to as cherry peppers. They come packed in jars and can typically be found in the condiment aisle or sometimes with international ingredients. Buy diced peppers and save a step.
- Calabrian chili paste — this provides just the tiniest amount of smoky heat. You can omit this, or substitute a little sprinkle of cayenne or hot sauce.
- Chives — many recipes include onion powder or onions. I like chives for this recipe, both for their mild flavor and because they’re pretty all minced up.
- Sherry vinegar — a Spanish wine-based vinegar made from sherry. It’s got a deep amber color and is a bit milder than red or white wine vinegars. It brings a little complex punch to the party.
- Seasonings — garlic powder, kosher salt + fresh cracked black pepper.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you (thank you!). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the full Disclosure for more information.
Let’s Make Goat + Gouda Pimento Cheese!
Taste it, then season with salt + pepper as needed. If you want a little more spice, add a bit more Calabrian chili paste!
Related video: watch how to make goat + gouda pimento cheese in this Instagram Reel!
- This is a great make ahead dish. Cover and store it in the fridge. Allow it to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes before serving so it’s easier to spread.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Ways to Serve Pimento Cheese
Cheese and cheese balls and cheese spreads are always welcome additions to a party spread, so serve this anytime you’re entertaining or celebrating!
- Easy Homemade Rosemary + Sea Salt Crackers are the perfect choice, but try it with other crunchy snacks like pretzel thins, pita chips, or tortilla chips.
- Raw veggies are excellent with pimento cheese, too. Crispy celery or carrots, cucumber slices and mini bell peppers are some of my favorites.
- Use it in sandwiches…everything from finger sandwiches, to grilled cheese to burgers!
- Swap your cream cheese for pimento cheese spread on your morning bagel…and don’t forget the smoked salmon!
What to Sip With Goat + Gouda Pimento Cheese
There are a lot of ways you could go with this!
- Give a nod to pimento cheese’s southern roots and enjoy it with a nice tall glass of iced sweet tea.
- How about a whiskey-based cocktail? Maybe an Old Fashioned or a whiskey sour.
- If you’re a beer drinker, I’m feeling something on the lighter side…a kolsch or pilsner would balance the rich cheese spread.
Other Cheesy Recipes to Check out…
- Baked Lemon Ricotta Dip with Blackberries + Honey
- Basil + Lemon Burrata with Ciabatta Toasts
- Crab + Goat Cheese Palmiers
- Red Pepper Jam + Goat Cheese Crostini
- Bruleed Pear + Whipped Feta Crostini
- Beer Cheese Fondue
- Cranberry Jalapeño Cheese Dip
Goat + Gouda Pimento Cheese Spread
- 8 oz mild gouda cheese* shredded on a box grater
- 4 oz goat cheese softened
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 oz diced pimento peppers from jar, well drained
- ½ tsp Calabrian chili paste or more, to taste
- 2 tbsp chives minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar or dry sherry or Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- kosher salt + fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients (except for salt + pepper) using a wooden spoon or an electric hand mixer.
- Taste and season with salt + pepper, if needed. Add a little more Calabrian chili paste if you want more heat!
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. If making ahead + refrigerating, allow to sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.