Homemade Spiced Apple Waffles are breeze to make and perfect for cozy fall mornings with a mug of piping hot apple cider!
Tuck into Autumn with Homemade Spiced Apple Waffles
Imagine a crisp fall weekend. Sleeping in (just a little). Waking to bright sunshine, turning leaves, the smell of coffee brewing…and the spicy scent of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and fresh apples wafting through the house.
So comforting, right? Now, if I could just get someone to bring all of that to me in bed. A girl can dream.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you (thank you!). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Spiced Apple Waffles are Cinch to Make
Provided you have a waffle maker. Otherwise, it might be kinda hard. Speaking of waffle makers…I recently acquired a new one that has interchangeable plates — it also turns into a grill and a sandwich press. I love a multi-tasker.
Anyway, it took a little trial and error to get the amount of batter right. I still need a little practice with it. But, that reminds me that I should mention number of servings…I get nine waffles out of this batch. However, depending on the size of your waffle iron, it may be more or less. With that said, I won’t boss you around about how much batter to use per waffle.
There are no crazy ingredients. You’ll probably have everything you need in your pantry or fridge. So here’s how it goes…
Grab yourself a big bowl. Dump in the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, all the spices and salt. Combine everything with a whisk to remove lumps and distribute. Then, make a well in the center of the dry mix.
In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, combine the eggs, milk and oil. Pour this into the dry mix and stir to combine.
Finally, add the grated apple and fold that in. You’re ready to make waffles!
Simply follow your waffler’s instructions to crank these out.
It seems a little silly to have a paragraph about serving ideas for waffles, but just in case…
- Top these with pure maple syrup, maple whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, ice cream, etc.
- Use them instead of bread for sandwiches…like a grilled apple + brie or a Nutella + apple sandwich!
- Serve them with Caramel Apple Compote with Dried Cherries + Pecans (pictured below!)
A Few of Tips for Homemade Spiced Apple Waffles
Peeled or unpeeled, leave the apple whole. Using a box grater, grate one side of the apple until you nearly reach the core. Spin it one-quarter turn and repeat. Continue until you’ve grated all four sides. You’ll be left with only the core which also just saved your knuckles!
Even if your waffle iron is non-stick, it doesn’t hurt to provide a little insurance. I don’t recommend cooking spray as it tends to build up and leave an annoying sticky residue over time that’s impossible to clean off. I prefer a pastry brush dipped in softened butter or oil to grease my iron — it doesn’t take much!
Store in an airtight container in your fridge for 3 to 5 days. To reheat, pop them in a toaster or warm them in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
Want More Autumn Comfort Recipes? Check These Out…
- Curried Butternut Squash + Granny Smith Soup
- Chorizo + Black Bean Chili
- Lobster Mac + Cheese
- Spiced Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls
Easy Homemade Spiced Apple Waffles
- waffle maker
- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1½ cups milk I use 2%
- ¼ cup neutral cooking oil vegetable, avocado
- 1 apple peeled + grated
- Preheat your waffle maker.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, spices and salt.
- In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, combine eggs, milk and oil. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the grated apple.
- Cook the waffles per your waffle maker's instructions.
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please come back and leave a comment, give it some stars or snap a photo + tag me on Instagram and use #sipandsanity! Thanks for hanging out!