This plum + lime whiskey smash cocktail is a refreshing go-to for stone fruit season! It’s the perfect cool-down drink for steamy summer nights.
Whiskey Smash Cocktail with Plum + Lime
I love a fruity cocktail, but I don’t particularly enjoy super sweet ones. This one sits right in that spot between both worlds. Ripe, juicy plums, zippy lime, sweet whiskey and a little bite of ginger beer settle together for a cocktail that’s refreshing and perfect for sipping when the mercury is topping out.
What is a Smash Cocktail?
Imbibe magazine has a brief history on the smash which is worth a read. In closing, it describes the smash as ‘an open-ended cocktail, freely variable and seasonally flexible.’
Well…you don’t need to tell me twice, so of course, I took some liberties. In keeping with tradition, we’ve got ice, seasonal fruit and a spirit. I left out the mint (although any herb could be substituted and I think thyme would be lovely). You can add a little water or seltzer, but I went with ginger beer — ginger is great with plums (+ lime…uh, Moscow Mule, right?).
Ok. So this cocktail might be somewhere between a smash and a mule or just something I mixed up when I was bored. Who really cares when it’s delicious going down?!
Ingredients for this Whiskey Smash
In keeping with ‘freely variable’, I encourage you to play around:
- Use more plum
- Add some herbs
- Drop a knob of ginger in before you muddle and use some seltzer instead of ginger beer
- Pour a little simple syrup in if you like it on the sweeter side
For my version, you’ll need:
- Ripe plums
- Limes, for juice and garnish
- Whiskey (your choice, but keep in mind it’s origin and manufacturing method will impact it’s level of sweetness)
- Ginger beer (again, some are sweeter or spicier than others)
- Simple syrup (optional)
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you (thank you!). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smash It Up!
Step 2 ~ Add ice. I prefer crushed ice for this and accomplish that by throwing some cubes in a bag and giving it a few whacks with the rolling pin.
Step 3 ~ Pour in the whiskey.
Step 4 ~ Top it off with ginger beer and give it a stir.
Step 5 ~ Sit yourself under a fan and sip away!
Wait! Try These Other Drink Recipes, Too…
- Apricot + Basil Sangria
- Hibiscus Tea Mimosas
- Big Batch Frozen Pink Cadillac Margarita
- Hard Pineapple Lemonade (mocktail version, too!)
- Blueberry Hibiscus Lemonade
Plum + Lime Whiskey Smash
- rocks glass
- ½ plum cut into wedges
- ½ lime juiced
- 2 oz whiskey
- 4 oz ginger beer
- ½ oz simple syrup or to taste (optional)
- plum wedges + lime wheels for garnish
- Muddle the plums, lime juice and simple syrup (if using) in the bottom of a glass.
- Add ice, whiskey and ginger beer. Give it a stir.
- Garnish with a plum wedge + slice of lime.
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.