Pepper Jack Cornbread Waffles
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk I used 2%
- 2 tbsp canola oil or avocado oil, plus more for greasing the waffle maker
- 1 tbsp honey
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese shredded, divided
- 4 lettuce leaves like romaine, butter, Boston or leafy green/red
- 4 slices vine-ripened tomato
- 4 oz deli turkey
- 4 oz deli ham
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 4 tbsp spicy mayonnaise or regular mayo
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, oil and honey. Add this to the flour mixture all at once and stir until just combined. Fold in half the shredded cheese. Set aside to rest.
Preheat a waffle maker. When hot, use a pastry brush to grease the waffle irons. Add the necessary amount of batter your waffle maker prescribes and cook until done. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
To assemble, layer one waffle with half the remaining shredded pepper jack, 2 lettuce leaves, 2 slices of tomato, 2 oz of turkey, 2 oz of ham and 2 slices of bacon. Spread 2 tbsp of mayo on another waffle and place that on top of the sandwich. Repeat to make one more sandwich.
Cut the sandwiches into quarters and spear with a pick. One sandwich serves two people or one really hungry person!
- For reference, I made six 4.5"x4.5" waffles from this batter. The sandwiches need only four waffles, so depending on the size of your waffle maker, you may have an extra waffle or two.
- You can use the waffles at room temperature. If you'd like to keep them warm, place them on a rack on a baking sheet in a 170°F oven. Or, toast them before assembling your sandwiches.
Calories: 697kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 1590mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2563IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 594mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutritional values are estimated and provided as a general guideline only. I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying ingredient purchases.